- Preface: This announcement is in regard to a possible additional event. Additional events never affect or replace Harriman Hikers regular Sunday Hikes. Harriman Hikers hikes EVERY Sunday, year-round, rain or shine (or snow!* 😉 – just as we have for over 30 years.
- POSSIBLE Additional Event: Winter Outdoor Activities at Fahnestock Winter Park MAP near Cold Spring, NY. Call (845) 225-3998 for more info
- Organizer: YOU
- Details: …if local weather reports indicate there could be considerable snow on the ground and you are not going to work and the roads are clear (* it is NOT recommended that ANYONE venture out on the roads under potentially unsafe conditions) …
…there is a more or less standing invitation to join others that might be interested in cross-country skiing, snow shoeing or tubing at Fahnestock Winter Park (FWP) aka Clarence Fahnestock State Park.
Weather / conditions permitting, FWP offers groomed cross-country ski trails, snowshoeing and snow tubing opportunities as well as possibility to rent equipment as may be needed – also, (again, depending on conditions) the lake at the park may be available for ice skating. Contact Fahnestock Winter Park MAP
- More Info:
- Winter activities at Fahnestock Winter Park are additional and do not affect or replace Harriman Hikers regular Sunday Hikes. Harriman Hikers hikes EVERY Sunday, year-round, rain or shine, just as we have for over 30 years.
- Strongly suggested to call first to check conditions at Fahnestock and make sure they are open. Call (845) 225-3998 for more info.
- Any activities as might be suggested are optional / at participant’s discretion and it is up to YOU to organize your outing – in other words it is up to YOU to call the park, contact your friends and get yourselves up there and home. Please DO NOT contact Harriman Hikers – the hike leaders are not necessarily involved in any FWP activities and have no additional information to offer.
- IF the park is open – cross country ski packages (skis, boots, poles) generally will be available for rental from the park as well as snow shoe and tube rentals. There is a heated lodge and usually hot food is available for purchase. Contact the park for rates and availability. Contact the park for hours and other details.
- IF the park is open you will almost always find plenty of friendly, outdoor-like-minded company to enjoy the outdoor opportunities the park offers.
- If you are interested in cross-country skiing, but havent done it before, do some googling using search terms such as “cross country ski” or “xc-ski” – there is a wealth of info on the internet regarding basic xc-ski technique. There also may be experienced skiers out for a day of skiing that might be happy to give you a pointer or two – ask around people you might meet at FWP… ditto snow shoeing…